Sowbhagya R - Biotechnology
Name: Dr. Sowbhagya R
Designation: Assistant Professor
Department: Department of Biotechnology
Qualification: Ph.D ,M.Sc in Biotechnology,B.Sc
Year of Joining: -
Work Experience: 6 years
- Muktha H, Sowbhagya R, Roy A, Raj IH, Amulya MD, Dayanidhi R, Ramakrishnaiah TN, Surendra AS. Green synthesis of nanoparticles from Catharantus roseus and study of its therapeutical applications. InNanotechnology and In Silico Tools 2024 Jan 1 (pp. 183-191). Elsevier.
- Sowbhagya R, Muktha H, Ramakrishnaiah TN, Surendra AS, Tanvi Y, Nivitha K, Rajashekara S. CRISPR/Cas-mediated genome editing in mice for the development of drug delivery mechanism. Molecular Biology Reports. 2023 Sep;50(9):7729-43.
- Kumar PH, Kottam N, Sowbhagya R. Synthesis & cytotoxic activity of Bis (μ–chloro) bis (azobenzenyl analogue) di-palladium complexes. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2023 Jan 1;89:130-7.
- Anupama SK, Ansari MA, Anand S, Sowbhagya R, Sultana S, Punekar SM, Ravikiran T, Alomary MN, Alghamdi S, Qasem AH, Aljuaid A. Decalepis hamiltonii and its bioactive constituents mitigate isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in aged rats. South African Journal of Botany. 2022 Dec 1;151:25-33.
- Anand S, Sowbhagya R, Ansari MA, Alzohairy MA, Alomary MN, Almalik AI, Ahmad W, Tripathi T, Elderdery AY. Polyphenols and their nanoformulations: Protective effects against human diseases. Life. 2022 Oct 19;12(10):1639.
- Tekupalli R, Anand S, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Kariyappa AS. Promising biomarkers for liver cancer. InTheranostics and Precision Medicine for the Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma, Volume 2 2022 Jan 1 (pp. 195-208). Academic Press.
- Narasimhaiah RT, Sudarshan SA, Krishna HH, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya. APPLICATION OF RAPD BARCODES IN ESTABLISHING THE GENETIC VARIATIONS OF LYNX SPIDERS, OXYOPES JAVANUS POPULATIONS FROM THE DIFFERENT PARTS OF KARNATAKA, INDIA. Annals of Entomology. 2022 Jan 1;40(1).
- Ravikiran T, Anand S, Ansari MA, Alomary MN, AlYahya S, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Alghamdi S, Sindhghatta Kariyappa A, Dundaiah B, Madhugiri Gopinath M, Sultana S. Fabrication and in vitro Evaluation of 4-HIA Encapsulated PLGA Nanoparticles on PC12 Cells. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2021 Aug 17:5621-32.
- Tekupalli R, Anand S, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Kariyappa AS, Vadde R. Biomarkers for Hepatocellular Carcinoma− An Updated Review. Critical Reviews™ in Oncogenesis. 2021;26(1).
- Tekupalli R, Anand S, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Kariyappa AS, Dundaiah B. Immunomarkers for Detection of GI Malignancies. Immunotherapy for Gastrointestinal Malignancies. 2020:41-9.
- Tekupalli R, Anand S, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Kariyappa AS, Dundaiah B, Gopinath MM. Neuroprotective effects of mangrove plants. In Biotechnological Utilization of Mangrove Resources 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 261-273). Academic Press.
- Dundaiah B, Kariyappa AS, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Anand S, Tekupalli R. Dietary supplementation of Hemidesmus indicus and swimming exercise attenuates oxidative stress in the rat brain. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2020 Jan 1;16(67):21-6.
- Dundaiah B, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Anand S, Kariyappa AS, Gopinath MM, Tekupalli R. Swimming exercise and dietary supplementation of Hemidesmus indicus modulates cognitive decline by enhancing brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in rats. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019 Jan 10;9(10):955-9.
- Kariyappa AS, Ramachandregowda Sowbhagya, Anand S, Dundaiah B, Gopinath MM, Tekupalli R. Decalepis hamiltonii and its bioactive compounds protects isoproterenol-induced myocardial oxidative stress in rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2019 Jul 1;15(Suppl 2):S320-7.
- Kariyappa AS, Sowbhagya R, Bhagyalakshmi D, Vijay K, Ravikiran T. Decalepis hamiltonii protects H9c2 cells against H2O2 induced oxidative stress and apoptosis through modulating antioxidant status. Medicinal Plants-International Journal of Phytomedicines and Related Industries. 2019;11(1):87-94.
- Sowbhagya R, Anupama SK, Bhagyalakshmi D, Anand S, Ravikiran T. Modulatory effects of Decalepis hamiltonii extract and its compounds on the antioxidant status of the aging rat brain. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioallied Sciences. 2017 Jan;9(1):8.
- Ravikiran T, Sowbhagya R, Anupama SK, Anand S, Bhagyalakshmi D. Age-related changes in the brain antioxidant status: Modulation by dietary supplementation of Decalepis hamiltonii and physical exercise. Molecular and cellular biochemistry. 2016 Aug;419:103-13.
- SOWBHAGYA RG, LAKSHMINARAYANA R, Raghuveer BS, Ravikiran T. Studies on ellagic acid and 4-hydroxyisophthalic acid isolated from swallow root (Decalepis hamiltonii). International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016 May 10;8(6):278-85.
- Ravikiran T, Shilpa S, Praveen Kumar N, Sowbhagya R, Anand S, Anupama SK, Bhagyalakshmi D. Antioxidant activity of Hemidesmus indicus (L.) R. Br. encapsulated poly (lactide-co-glycolide)(PLGA) nanoparticles. J Pharm Bio Sci. 2016;11:9-17.
- Green synthesis of Cerium oxide nanoparticles using Acacia catechu extract: characterization and in vitro evaluation. Trends in Life Sci. 2013, (1 & 2) : 1-11
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Doctoral degree (2017)
Women Scientist fellowship from Department of Science and Technology (2012-2015).
- Worked in a DST major Research Project entitled” Neuroprotective effects of Decalepis hamiltonii” (2012-2015).
- Worked in a minor project entitled “Impact of exercise and dietary supplementation of root extract of Decalepis hamiltonii and antioxidant system in aging rat brain” (2010-2011).
- Antioxidant, antimicrobial and anticancerousactivities of ethanol and aqueous extracts of Linum usitatissimum and Trigonella foenum – graecum.
- Antioxidant, antimicrobial and anticancerousproperties with comparative analysis of calcium oxalate from Philodendron species.
- Plant extract assisted Green synthesis of Zinc oxide nanoparticles using Tinospora cardifolia and its Antimicrobial activity.
- Green synthesis of Zinc oxide nanoparticles using Cissus quadrangulris and its Antimicrobial activity.
- Neuroprotective effects of Annonaceace fruit extracts in Paraquat treated Drosophila melanogaster.
- Neuroprotective effects of Santalum album in Paraquat treated Drosophila Oregon K strains.
Seminars/ Conferences / training programme attended :
- Attended one day FDP on “Research Grant Proposals, Manuscript Preparation and Bridging the Industry – Academia Gap” organized by the Department of Research and Development at RCASC on 11th July 2023
- Guest speaker for 5 days Faculty Development program on the topic “Assessment and Accreditation Framework of NAAC” held from 7th February to 11th February 2022 at Ramaiah Institute of Business studies.
- Resource person and presented a talk on 23rd May 2021 on “Orientation on Preparation of AQAR 2020-21” at RCASC.
- Participated in Live webinars held from 2nd to 4th July 2020 on Combating with the Millennium Pandemic Covid – 19 organized by American Society for Microbiology (ASM).
- Participated in one day National webinar held on 25th July 2020, on ‘Fighting Shadow Pandemic’ organized by the Department of English, RCASC.
- Attended the International Webinar on “High Resolution Microscopy as a tool to New Discoveries in Science” organized by Indian Academy Degree college, Bengaluru, on 16th July 2020.
- Participated in the Webinar on “Drug Discovery – Probable Approches to combat Covid – 19” organized by St. Joseph’s College, Bengaluru, on 07-08-2020.
- Attended five-day International Webinar on “Advances in Biological Neural Networks” organized by the Department of BT and Genetics, RCASC from July 28July to 01st August 2020.
- Participated in the webinar on “Microbiome, Immunity and Vaccines” organized by Indian Association of Veterinary Microbiologists, Immunologists and Specialists in Infectious Diseases on 30th August 2020.
- Participated in the webinar on “Principles and applications in Immunology” organized by the Dept. of Zoology, Andhra Loyola College held on 18th July 2020.
- Presented oral in the 1st International conference organized by RCASC from 24th to 26th of November, 2019 held at Apex block, MSRIT, Bengaluru.
- Presented oral in the National conference held at the Dept. of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Bangalore University, Bengaluru on 3rd and 4th of October 2019.
- Attended national conference on “New Methodology of Assessment and Accreditation by NAAC - Issues and Challenges” at RCASC on 11-4-2019 at RCASC, Bengaluru.
- Attended conference on Intellectual property rights on 28/1/2019 and 29/1/2019 at Ramaiah Law college, Bengaluru
- Attended and presented an oral at “International conference on recent trends in Biotechnology and Biodiversity conservation for sustainable development” from 26th to 29th September 2017 at Le Meridien Hotel, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
- Presented paper on “Surya Narmaskar” on National Science Womens Congress Association on 6th and 7th November 2017.
- Participated in “National Science Day” conducted on 12th March, 2018 on the theme “Science and Technology for Sustainable Future” jointly organized by Ramaiah College of Arts, Science and Commerce and Karnataka Science and Technology Academy held at Apex Block Auditorium, MSRIT campus.
- Attended and presented an oral at “ Stress and Health: frontiers of Research in stress related diseases and management (SHDM- 2015)” on 12th and 13th February 2015 at Maharani’s Science college for women, Bengaluru.
- Attended and presented a poster at “Symposium on Healthy lifestyle and Human welfare” 18th-19th November, 2014 at Jnana bharathi campus, Bangalore University, Bengaluru.
- Attended and presented an oral at “International conference on current status, opportunities and challenges in medicinal plants and natural product research” 24th and 26th September 2014, at Uka Tarsadia University, Bardoli, Gujarat.
- Attended and presented progress in the project before the subject expert committee in Group Monitoring Workshop under Women Scientist Scheme of Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi, during July 24-26, 2014 held at Sophitorium Institute of Technology and Lifeskills, Jatni, Khurda, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- Participated in National workshop on “Frontiers in cell biology and biotechnology” held at Bangalore University, Bengaluru, on December 28th and 29th, 2012.
- Attended and presented a poster at “12th International congress of Ethanopharmacology – Traditional medicines and globalization- The future of ancient systems of medicine” “held at Science city, Kolkata from February 17th -19th, 2012.
- Participated in workshop on “Use of statistical softwares in biological research” held in the Department of Biotechnology, Jnanabharathi Campus, Bangalore University, Bengaluru, on 6th and 7th of August 2011.
Contribution to development of institution:
- Organized a Value added programme on “Study of basic techniques in Animal Cell Culture” from 14th to 19th November 2022 for UG (V Sem BT & Gen) students.
- Organized a Value added programme on “Hands on Training on Animal Cell Culture” from 12th to 22nd September 2022 for II Sem MSc (BT) students.
- Organized and conducted International Yoga day on 21st June 2021
- Organized yoga day celebrations on 21st June 2018 (part of curricular activity for MBA students)
- Conducted Yoga classes for degree students
- Organized an awareness programme on “Traffic” on 30th September 2019
- Final year B.Sc students were also encouraged to perform Street play on ‘Traffic awareness’ at Yeshawanthapura circle on 24th October 2019
Extracurricular activities :
- I Prize in quiz competition organized by Sadhana Adhyathma Kendra, Nelamangala.
- II Prize in pick and speak competition organized by Sadhana Adhyathma Kendra, Nelamangala
- Qualified “Yoga siri prabodha patra exam” and “Yoga bhushana prabodha patra examination” with Gold medals held on 6-2-2016 organized by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Morarji Desai National Institue of Yoga, New Delhi, S-Vyasa Yoga University, Bengaluru, Sri Vedavyasa Yoga Foundation (R), Mysore, Government of India.
- Attended and participated in the “Foundation course in Yoga Science for Wellness” from 5-9-2015 to 5-2-2016, organized by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Morarji Desai National Institue of Yoga, New Delhi, S-Vyasa Yoga University, Bengaluru, Sri Vedavyasa Yoga Foundation (R), Mysore, Government of India , in collaboration with Sadhana Yoga Spiritual centre, Nelamangala.
- Society of Biological Chemists (India)
- Society of Biological Chemists (India)
Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology
- M S Ramaiah College of Arts, Science and Commerce
Bengaluru - 560052