Dr. NIMITA VENUGOPAL C
Name: Dr. Nimita Venugopal C
Designation: Assistant Professor
Qualification: Ph.D Microbiology
Year of Joining: 2022
Work Experience: Research Experience: 14 Years & Teaching: 10 Months
Subject Specialisation Microbiology (Antimicrobial Resistance)
“Prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococci in Cattle including their Environment and Animal Handlers” – As Methicillin-resistant staphylococci are among the emerging pathogens which have become a threat to both human and animal health, present investigation intended to examine the occurrence and the molecular characteristics of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci (MRCoNS) recovered from cattle, its handlers, and their environment.
- Dey, T.K., Shome, B.R., Bandyopadhyay, S., Goyal, N.K., Lundkvist, Å., Deka, R.P., Shome, R., Venugopal, N., Grace, D., Sharma, G., et al. Molecular Characterization of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococci from the Dairy Value Chain in Two Indian States. Pathogens 2023, 12, 344. https://doi.org/10.3390/ pathogens12020344.
- Tewari, R., Ganaie, F., Venugopal, N., Mitra, S., Shome, R., & Shome, B. R. (2022). Occurrence and characterization of genetic determinants of β-lactam-resistance in Escherichia coli clinical isolates. Infection, genetics and evolution: journal of molecular epidemiology and evolutionary genetics in infectious diseases, 100, 105257. Advance online publication.
- Venugopal N, Ganaie F, Mitra S, Tewari R, Dey TK, Ojha R, Shome R and Shome BR (2020). Development and validation of multiplex polymerase chain reaction for concomitant detection of genus Staphylococcus and clinically relevant methicillin resistance determinants. Journal of Applied Biology and Biotechnology, 8(05): 1-6.
- Garima Sharma, Florence Mutua, Ram PratimDeka, RajeshwariShome, SamiranBandyopadhyay, BR Shome, NareshGoyal Kumar, Delia Grace, Tushar Kumar Dey, NimitaVenugopal, Swati Sahay& Johanna Lindahl (2020) A qualitative study on antibiotic use and animal health management in smallholder dairy farms of four regions of India, Infection Ecology & Epidemiology, 10:1, 1792033, DOI: 10.1080/20008686.2020.1792033.
- Venugopal N, Mitra S, Tewari R, Ganaie F, Shome R, Rahman H, Shome BR (2019) Molecular detection and typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from cattle, animal handlers, and their environment from Karnataka, Southern Province of India, Veterinary World, 12(11):1760-1768.
- Tewari R, Mitra SD, Ganaie F, Das S, Chakraborty A, Venugopal N, Shome R, Rehman H, Shome BR. (2019). Dissemination and Characterization of Extended Spectrum β-Lactamase, AmpC β- Lactamase and Metallo β-Lactamase producing Escherichia coli from livestock and poultry in North East India: A molecular surveillance approach. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. S2213-7165(19)30007-4.
- RituparnaTewari, SuswetaMitra, NimitaVenugopal, Sangita Das, FerozeGanaie, ArnabSen, RajeswariShome, HabiburRahman and BibekRanjanShome. (2018). Phenotypic and Molecular Characterization of Extended Spectrum β-Lactamase, AmpC β –Lactamase and Metallo β- Lactamase producing Klebsiella spp. from Farm animals in India. Indian J Anim Res. DOI: 10.18805/ijar.B-3599.
- Tewari R, Mitra SD, Ganaie F, Venugopal N, Das S, Shome R, Rehman H, Shome BR. (2018) Prevalence of extended spectrum β-lactamase, AmpC β-lactamase and metallo β-lactamase mediated resistance in Escherichia coli from diagnostic and tertiary healthcare centers in south Bangalore, India. Int J Res Med Sci; 6:1308-13.
- Shome B R, Natesan K, Mitra S D, Venugopal N, Mani B, Ganaie F, Shome, R. and Rahman H. (2018) Development of Simplex-PCR Assays for Accurate Identification of Nine Staphylococcal Species at Genus and Species Levels. J.Microbiol.Infect.Dis, 8 (3):120-127.
- Yarlagadda V, Konai MM, Paramanandham K, Nimita VC, Shome B R and Haldar J. (2015) In-vivo Efficacy and Pharmacological Properties of a Novel Glycopeptide (YV4465) Against Vancomycin- intermediate Staphylococcus aureus (VISA) International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 46(4):446- 50.
- Susweta Das Mitra, Wilfred Anthony, Rituparna Tewari, NimitaVenugopal, Bhuvana Mani, Kritiga Natesan, Bibek Ranjan Shome and Habibur Rahman. (2015). Duplex PCR for specific detection of Escherichia coli and its differentiation from other Enterobacteriaceae. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 85(8): 832–835.
- Mitra S D, Ghosh S K, Krishnamoorthy P, Chakraborty A, Nimita V C, Roy M, Shome B R, and Rahman H (2014) Characterization of TLR expression in Staphylococcus aureus induced mastitis in mice model by probe based real time PCR. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 84 (10):1043–1047.
- Hari Kumar, K. B., Sunila, E. S., Kuttan, G., Korangath, P., NimitaVenugopal, C., & Kuttan, R. (2007). Inhibition of chemically induced carcinogenesis by drugs Used in Homeopathic Medicine. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 8(1), 98-102.
- Harikumar, K. B., Nimita, C. V., Preethi, K. C., Kuttan, R., Shankaranarayana, M. L. and Deshpande, J. Toxicity profile of lutein and lutein ester isolated from marigold flowers (Tageteserecta). International Journal of Toxicology. 2008. 27, 1-9.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENECES
- Attended one day national webinar as per ICAR program under National campaign “Bharat Ka Amrut Mahotsava” India @ 75 and on occasion of AMR week, November 24th, 2021 organized by ICAR- CIFA (Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture).
- Attended one day webinar on AMR journeys, stories of AMR champions of Asia organized by Tripartite plus (FAO, WHO, OIE, UNEP), November 18th, 2021.
- Participated in a conference in the International e-Symposium on “One Health Concept: Opportunities and Perspectives in Present Scenario” and XVII Annual Conference of Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health Specialists (IAVPHS) organized by Centre for One Health, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU), Ludhiana, Punjab, 28 - 29 May, 2021.
- Nimita Venugopal, Rituparna Tewari, Feroze Ganaie, Rajeswari Shome, Bibek R. Shome. “Methicillin Resistant Coagulase Negative Staphylococci (MRCoNS): A pilot study at interface between cattle and animal handlers” in the International e-Symposium on “One Health Concept: Opportunities and Perspectives in Present Scenario” and XVII Annual Conference of Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health Specialists (IAVPHS) organized by Centre for One Health, Guru AngadDev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (GADVASU), Ludhiana, Punjab, 28 – 29, May, 2021.
- Nimita Venugopal. C, Krithiga Natesan, Rituparna Tewari, Feroze Ganaie, Bibek Ranjan Shome and Rajeswari Shome. Antimicrobial resistance and Virulence Factors associated with MRCoNS isolated from Cattle and its animal handlers. National Conference on Inclusive Development through Biotechnology at Life Science Department, Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore. January 17th & 18th 2020.
- Nimita Venugopal, Krithiga Natesan, Rituparna Tewari, Feroze Ganaie, Rajeswari Shome, Bibek R. Shome. (2020). Detection of Antibiotic Susceptibility pattern and Biofilm formation in Methicillin resistant coagulase negative staphylococci (MRCoNS) isolated from Cattle and its animal handlers. E- poster, Antibiotic Resistance- Renewed Fight. ASM-AMR (All India of Medical Sciences, New Delhi & The American Society for Microbiology), October 7th and 8 th 2020.
- Nimita V. C, Krithiga Natesan, Susweta Das Mitra, Rituparna Tewari, Sri Poornima, Sangitha Das, Bibek Ranjan Shome and Habibur Rahman. Methicillin Resistant Staphylococci in Livestock-A Duplex PCR Assay for its Rapid Detection. XXII Annual Convention and National Symposium on Immunomics and Proteogenomics in livestock health and productivity at Hisar. December 17-19, 2015.
- Rituparna Tewari, NimitaVenugopal C, Susweta Das Mitra, Bibek Ranjan Shome and Habibur Rahman. Extended Spectrum β lactamase (ESBL) producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Goat Farm Emerging Public health threat. XIII Annual Conference of Indian Association of Veterinary Public Health Specialists and National Symposium on “Safety of foods of Animal origin for Domestic & Export Markets: Legal Perspectives” at Veterinary college, KVAFSU, Bangalore, February, 10th -12th 2015.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Microbiology
M.S Ramaiah College of Arts, Science and Commerce
Bangalore - 560054, India
- Office: 080-23608597