A syllabus is a document to provide students with an overview of a college course. The syllabus is a key to success. Use the syllabus as a time tool and put every important date in your planner right away.
THE FUNCTION OF THE COURSE SYLLABUS
The syllabus can serve a wide variety of functions that will support and challenge students as they engage in their educational activities. Some are,
- Establishes an Early Point of Contact and connection Between Student and Instructor.
- Helps Set the Tone for Your Course.
- Describes Your Beliefs About Educational Purposes.
- Acquaints Students with the Logistics of the Course.
- Defines Student Responsibilities for Successful Course Work.
- Helps Students to Assess Their Readiness for Your Course What are the prerequisites.
- Sets the Course in a Broader Context for Learning.
- Can Expand to Provide Difficult-to-Obtain Reading Materials.
- Can Improve the Effectiveness of Student Note Taking.
- Can Include Material that Supports Learning Outside the Classroom
- Can Serve as a Learning Contract.
To view/download the syllabus